Skip to main content

Getahn Ward, longtime Tennessean reporter, Son of Amelia A. Ward Former Minister of Planning & Economic Affairs, dies at 45

Ward, who joined The Tennessean in 1998 after previously working at the shuttered Nashville Banner, was a bulldog of a reporter, most recently on the real estate beat. He was relentless in his craft, more than happy to pester his sources or tick off PR professionals — "flacks," he called them — if it meant landing a scoop.

He loved every part of reporting a story, especially when it meant prying information he wasn't supposed to know.

Ward resided in Southeast Nashville and was active across the city, particularly at his place of worship, Born Again Church on West Trinity Lane, where he was a deacon and frequently posted videos of services on social media. Exceedingly social, Ward rarely turned down an invitation and was typically the last to leave the party.

He was known for his unselfishness and generosity, and for going out of his way to help his friends. He was a devoted mentor, this year driving the son of single mother to school each morning because he had no other ride.

“He was just an outstanding individual, who was very faithful to his work and to the ministry,” said Born Again Church Pastor Horace Hockett. “He had exceptional character. He was a fixture at Born Again Church. It’s just a shock to all of us.

“It saddens the heart and it saddens the body that it happened so suddenly.”


Ward, who moved to the U.S. in 1991, celebrated his citizenship in 2014 by casting his first vote in an American election on his 42nd birthday. He was proud of his African heritage and often told stories about a childhood in a country where civil war ripped the nation apart.

For many years, Ward sent money back to family in Liberia.

“Getahn was a rare human being whose strength of character defined him in a way that engendered deep respect from anyone who knew him, including and especially those whom he covered,” said Michael A. Anastasi, vice president and editor of The Tennessean.

“He cared about his craft, and he made sure he got it right," he said. "If Getahn reported it, Nashville’s business community knew it to be true. Countless business leaders have told me they had given up on keeping their development projects secret because Gethan would always find out and report it. They figured it was easier to just start calling him up.”

Inside the newsroom, he was known for his famously disheveled desk overflowing with documents, phone numbers and clippings. He was just as apt at scouring public records for the latest deeds as he was hounding some of the city's biggest power players for the next big story.

"Come on, man," he would often bellow out on the phone when he thought a source wasn't being forthcoming. "I've known you a long time."


Nashville Mayor Megan Barry called Ward "the hardest-working reporter in Nashville."

A portrait of Ward hangs on the outside of the Tennessean building, a testament to his influence in Nashville.

"It’s a wonder he ever slept, because he always seemed to be chasing tips, gathering information and writing as many as six stories a day, including some big scoops," Barry said. "He was also a beloved member of the Liberian community who personified all that is great about our New American community.

"This is a very sad day for Nashville, and my heart goes out to Getahn’s family and to his work family at The Tennessean as they deal with this tragic loss.”

Ralph Schulz, president and CEO of the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, said it was a daunting task to conceal a business story from Ward. “If he called you, you could expect he was already well-informed and that he’d be persistent in asking you questions.”

Schulz was often bound by nondisclosure agreements not to discuss corporate relocations or massive real estate deals. But Schulz said a phone call from Ward meant the story was about to be broken.

Ward could fill up The Tennessean newsroom with a booming voice when pressuring a developer or publicist for information. His rolodex was a who’s who of Nashville business. 

“I can’t tell you how many times I read stories about things we were involved in and he was filling in details I didn’t know yet. He had the best network,” Schulz said. “As a journalist, people trusted him. He had a network that he was tenacious about and he was very well-informed.”


Mark Bloom, a downtown Nashville developer who frequently worked with Ward, called him a great person and thorough reporter who was determined to get to the bottom of each real estate transaction — before it became public. But he also brought readers the bigger picture. He said he was on top of the city's real estate trends, particularly in the urban core amid Nashville's ongoing boom.

"He was looking for the facts and the story underneath the transaction," Bloom said of Ward's hard-nosed approach. "And like all good reporters, he was wanting to find out about the transaction before it was really sealed, before he read about it in closing documents or through registered deeds. And most of the time, he figured out where the line formed and he got to the bottom of it.

"He was relentless for the story and most of the time he got it first."

Longtime journalist Pat Embry hired Ward as a business reporter at the Nashville Banner after his graduation from TSU, where he served as editor of the campus newspaper, The Meter. 

"Getahn was one of the youngest and last of what could be called an old school scoop-oriented journalist, and starting his career at the Banner was most appropriate," Embry said. "He never lost the underdog's edge of competing in a two-newspaper city." 

Ward arrived at The Tennessean as the newspaper was making a strategic decision to ramp up its business coverage. The move included hiring several reporters, including Ward, who had left the Nashville Banner, which had shut down.

Bill Choyke, business editor at The Tennessean in the 1990s, described a young Ward as hard-working and accomplished. 

"From an editor's standpoint he also could be very — how do I say this — flustering or he could be exasperating at times," he said. "But at the end of the day, he always came through."


Tennessean investigative reporter Anita Wadhwani, who worked with Ward for 17 years, recalled one evening waiting in the newsroom for hours for Ward to finish landing a scoop before they could head out to a Bob Dylan concert. They missed virtually the entire show, arriving for the last song, but Ward's story landed on the newspaper's front page the next day.

"He was a generous coworker who seemingly had the cell phone number of everyone in Nashville’s business community at his fingertips when you were on deadline and desperate to reach somebody," Wadhwani said. "He was also a generous friend. When I was newly divorced with two young children, Getahn would stop by and get down on my living room floor to play trains with them while I made dinner."

Former Tennessean business reporter Candy McCampbell recalled Ward as being willing to help people in need.

"Getahn was a really good reporter who worked hard on getting a story first and getting it right," McCampbell said. "I sat next to him for several years and overheard his tenacious and insightful questions of sources."

Ward was especially close with his mother, Amelia Ward, who was visiting him from Liberia at the time of his passing.

"Such a kind man and a huge loss for Nashville," U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Nashville, said. "Getahn was curious, smart and prolific in his work — a true reporter. Thinking of Getahn's family, as well as his friends and co-workers at The Tennessean."


Ward juggled his career as a reporter with a position at TSU, where he taught journalism, often beginning his day on the school's North Nashville campus before arriving at The Tennessean.

He was also a staunch advocate for black journalists and held past leadership positions with the Nashville chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists.

"I am heartbroken for Getahn, his mother, extended family and friends, colleagues, and our chapter, which he loved dearly," said Hayley Mason with the NABJ Nashville chapter. "Getahn has been a dedicated leader, a passionate mentor, a hardworking journalist, and the backbone of our scholarship efforts over the years. Most importantly, he has been a great person and an amazing friend."

Memorial service information will be made available in the coming days.

Reach Joey Garrison at 615-259-8236, and on Twitter @joeygarrison. Reach Nate Rau at 615-259-8094 and Follow him on Twitter @tnnaterau.

Source: Tennessean 


Popular posts from this blog

'He kicked me in the stomach, I peed on myself. He body-slammed me to the floor twice and told me he would kill me, no one will find my body.: In her journey to recovery, domestic violence survivor Christine R. M. Dennis-Freeman tells it all

The tragic story of Christine R. M. Dennis-Freeman, like that of Agnes Yarlee and Diane Hart before her, has brought the issue of domestic abuse out of the dark unspoken place it thrives and into the open.
It's horrendous that it takes the death of women, or an attempt to kill women, to get a serious debate  on the issue of domestic abuse. Discussing domestic violence in our society is a real taboo and most men within the Liberian society, don't even find the topic worth their time, as compared to discussing sports, politics and corruption. 
But these women mention above are just the tip of the iceberg.

Defying the odds, Mrs. Dennis-Freeman refuses to keep her mouth shut and go with the flow of the Liberian society.  She courageously sat in a wheel chair up to 1:30am, sharing her story with C Liberia Clearly.  In her own words, she walked us through the day that led to her horrific story.

The Christine R. M. Dennis-Freeman story
 I left America on April 4th, 2017, the inc…

Liberian Superstar Quincy B Dead

2 March 2017 / Berenice Mulubah 
On March 3, 2017, Liberian superstar, Quincy L. Borrow aka Quincy B, died from a car accident, on his way from KARAOKE NITE, in Monrovia, Liberia.  The artist was pulled out of the damaged vehicle and rush to the JFK hospital. Quincy B did not survived.   Few hours before his death, the artist was spotted live on snap chat, singing Karaoke. Quincy B who was the driver of the car, died immediately.  Artists CIC , Margas Bimba and Feouls Kaba in the vehicle, as well, they are at the hospital, being treated.  CIC broken his legs in the accident. CIC and Quincy B are nominated for the Liberian Entertainment Awards 2017.

Liberian-American Wilmot Collins unseats Mayor Smith - Becomes 1st Black Mayor In Montana

Wilmot Collins will be Helena’s new mayor, unseating incumbent Jim Smith in a close race Tuesday. 
Collins, 54, will be the city's first new mayor in 16 years after running a long campaign based in progressive principles.
“The people of Helena have spoken, and I am honored to be able to serve them,” Collins said as the night drew to a close. “I intend to work with commissioners, work for the people of Helena and find what is best for this city.”Collins also sought to praise Smith for his work over the past decade and a half.
“I commend Mayor Smith. He’s done a great job for the city, and I hope to work with him in the future," Collins said. 
At the La Pa Grill on 6th Avenue in downtown Helena, Collins and other members of the self-described “progressive ticket” watched and waited for the results of the 2017 election.
The feeling was festive as Collins received a call from U.S. Sen. Jon Tester congratulating Collins on his victory. Victory cigars were passed around the room at the …